OLYMPIA VFP CHAPTER 109, THE RACHEL CORRIE CHAPTER

Meeting Minutes for July 15,2004

 

      ATTENDANCE, 16.  Craig C., John C. Wes H., Jody T., Laurel V. Larry K.,

      Dennis M., Don B., Brady, Elizabeth, Julia, Ken S., George J., Steve,

      Guests of Wes Dan Ryan and Dawn Marcelle

        Announcements: 

      1.  Our next meeting will be at Wonderland Park in Lacey, WA.

      2PM sharp.  Pot luck.  Tardiness will be noted. If you have any New Business, please provide info at least one week before next meeting, so it can be included in the agenda.

      2.  Wes H. will represent us at the VFP convention in Boston and also attend the Democratic National Convention.  

      3.  Handouts were distributed.  Letters to the editor, military recruiters in schools and an announcement of Jacqui Miller speaking on "Is       Democracy a Myth"?

      Old business from June 04

      1.  DISCUSSION /APPROVAL OF BY LAWS.  Revisions discussed and adopted. By-Laws were sent to members separately. (If you did not receive them, let us know)  

      2.  COUNTER RECRUITMENT IN EATONVILLE.  There was much discussion and interest in the subject of counter recruitment.  Jody, Laurel, Dawn, Don, Dennis and Wes agreed to develop as a team to explore this topic as a focus for our chapter.  They will report their proposed goals and objectives to the group at the next meeting.  A team member will contact Molly G. and inquire as to her interest in being a member of this team.  It seemed somewhat unclear exactly what was expected of our group in counter recruitment as desired by "Eatonville."  

      Don will ask for specifics and report back to the group and the counter recruitment team next month.  See handouts noted above.

      3.  PAPERBACK BOOKS CHAPTER PROJECT- Support the troops.  There seemed to be little support for this activity at this time.  Don will       send the books he's collected.  

      4.  SEPTEMBER MEETING IN PORT TOWNSEND.  There was considerable  discussion around issue of our relationship with the Peninsula folks.  Jim reported that they appeared to have enough people currently to have their own chapter. There was support to assist them in developing chapter. Don had basically told them that we would be coming over to celebrate Clara's birthday in September and have our meeting there. Concerns were expressed about travel time and focus of the group's time.  We will explore the needs of the members of the Peninsula and the south sound       members at the September meeting in Port Townsend.

      New Business 

      1.  RELATIONSHIP WITH THE NORTHWEST VETERANS FOR PEACE.

      Laurel reported receipt of a letter of introduction from N.W. VFP, their considerable good works and an inquiry of our interest to work with them.  We will work to establish a dialogue and potentially work with them. They appear to have done some excellent work in any number of areas.  Of special interest to our group would seem to be their work in counter recruitment.  They may be an excellent resource to assist our team in its efforts.  Jim will continue to liaison with them.  He will clarify if they are or are aware of a VFP chapter 73 in Portland.

      2.  DENNIS KYNE VISIT TO SOUTH SOUND IN AUGUST?  Don reported that

      Dennis might be in the area and would like to see him speak if possible.  Initial discussion indicated group interest.  Don will clarify with Dennis if he might be here and clarify that our chapter currently has no sponsorship funds.  A potential venue at Traditions seems a possibility.  Jody will explore this.  Again, there was clarification regarding our need to know the difference between SPONSOR and ENDORSE.  Basically, sponsoring requires funding and endorsing does not.

      3.  ESTABLISHING AN ARLINGTON NW EXHIBIT. 

      Jim reported participating in the Seattle VFPs' placing 898 crosses in the Bellevue downtown park.  It was an incredibly moving effort and display.  Jim announced that Seattle had agreed they would loan us their materials.  Discussion ensued about joining a peace vigil on the capital grounds on the 6th and 7th of August. Dennis will check this out and Jim will see if the materials are available. (Since our meeting, we have determined that our event will not be possible). The group with the permit did not feel comfortable with our proposed project.

      4.  CREATING AN E GROUP FOR COMMUNICATION BETWEEN MEETINGS

      It was agreed that an E Group would be developed without phone numbers.

      5.  ESTABLISHING A PHONE NUMBER FOR VFP RRC

      Ken will explore what’s involved in setting up a listing in Yellow Pages.     

      6.  CHAPTER FLYERS MODIFICATIONS

      Don suggested the possibility of modifying our VFP brochure to exclude the national areas of interest and replace them with our local areas of interest.  He suggests this is business that we can look at in the future.  Don also produced a newly modified brochure the color of the Palestinian flag.  Concerns were expressed about the potential for provocation as this might be misinterpreted as pro Palestine and anti Israel.

      7.  PARTICIPATION IN FUTURE PARADES/ VISIBILITY

      There was general support for participating in activities that promote the objectives of the group and increase the visibility and awareness of VFP.        Some brainstorming occurred regarding ways to increase more public awareness.  Jim asked the group for permission write an announcement for   TCTV's reader board.  The group approved.

      8.  FUNDRAISING

         Fundraising was again brought up but again resulted in no considered proposals. Members are asked to bring one idea each for discussion next month.

   

      9.  LIAISON TO RAFAH SISTER CITY GROUP                

         Christi McGinley is officially our Rafah Sister City Liaison.

  Scribe George "Jim" James